Saturday, December 26, 2009

Put a fork in it

I could go on fiddling with my MLA paper until the end of time, but when I can no longer see the words, it's time to stick a fork in it and call it done.
My paper is missing one bibliographic reference and a page number and I need to sharpen the focus throughout and beef up the conclusion, but right now the whole thing looks like mush to me, so I think I'll hit "print" and walk away.

Of course I'll need to revisit the manuscript again before I present it on Wednesday, primarily because it's about three pages too long. The paragraphs in which I genuflect to every scholar who has every said anything, interesting or otherwise, about these poems are ripe for chopping. I'd rather have too much material than too little, and there's nothing like an emergency paragraph-ectomy to reveal the deadwood in a paper.

Now that the paper is done (or as done as it's going to get this year), I can focus on the fun part: planning, packing, getting the show on the road. Philadeliphia, here I come!

Better not forget to pack my paper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to see a pic of you in "Rocky pose" on the top step in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. You lost a ridiculous amount of weight. You survived chemo. You successfuly raised your kids. You finished your paper and all of your holiday chores.... You need to a picture to capture the moment and I can't think of one that would be more fitting! Have a safe and ENJOYABLE trip! Bets