Friday, December 18, 2009

From the uneasy chair

I saw stripes on the state highway this morning, a sure sign that the highway department has been spraying brine on the road in preparation for the storm that's supposed to drop five inches of snow on us tonight. I should be home this afternoon before the storm begins and I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow, so I don't mind a little snow. It'll give me an excuse to go out with the camera tomorrow.

Tomorrow would also be a good day to address Christmas cards, except we've decided to forego the whole mess this year: can't print out holiday letters because of a printer problem, can't afford cards or postage, can't really find a whole lot to say other than "next year has got to be better!" and who wants to hear that? But even though I'm convinced that we really can't do the whole card thing this year, I keep finding myself apologizing for not participating in the annual holiday extravaganza. I'm clearly not at peace about this decision. I could send electronic greetings to those relatives and friends for whom I have e-mail addresses, but if we can't send them to everyone on the list, someone's bound to feel left out. The only solution, I'm afraid, is to crawl into a hole in the side of a snowbank and hide out, hoping no one notices our absence.

Now we just need some snow...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We would notice, Bev! :) BTW, Happy Anniversary! B

PS No poetry challenge today? You caught me in a mood when I'm feeling creative.

PPS It's cold here too (relatively speaking) and I'm also broke, feeling guilty about forgoing formal Christmas greetings and hoping for a better 2010. Maybe we can all just e-mail each other pics of sunny locales and take a virtual, tropical Christmas vacation together.

Your hair can blow in the wind. Garry can whip up some of his pepper jelly and homemade bread to share at the luau. I will have a doting suitor and the $$ for a pina colada and we'll all deck the palm trees with little twinkle lights and write, "Happy 2010" in the sand in letters so big they'll be viewed by the passengers of low flying planes. What do you think?

Joy said...

Many people are foregoing cards this year. Usually by now my wall if filled with them, but I have not even 10 yet (although that could say more about me than the overall condition of card-giving).

Unknown said...

Hey, snow is great and all, but do you think you could talk to the weather man and work out a way to have clear roads when I come in on Sunday?

Bev said...

Ooh, good point, Jess...Steve left Texas last night, intending to drive all night long and arrive home today. I wonder what kind of weather he's encountering?

And I'm sorry about forgetting the poetry challenge. I got distracted. But there's no reason you can't just write some anyway. How about an appropriate sentiment for a greeting card you wouldn't dare send?

So far, no snow here. Rats.

Bev said...

I spoke too soon! We now have a little snow on the ground and more on the way.