Tuesday, December 15, 2009

O come all ye futile...

Can we just rewind the tape and start yesterday all over again? Because I need a re-do.

I left early to drive to town and mail packages but did not realize that I did not have the packages with me until I got to the post office. If my brain had been functioning correctly, I would have noticed the lack of packages much sooner, when I transferred my billfold, my jump-drive, and a bag of dry-cleaning from my Volvo to my mechanic's Ford Aerostar, a van with which I have become much too familiar over the years. I keep hoping I'll be the one driving that van when it turns over to 300,000 miles, but it wasn't going to happen yesterday unless I happened to drive 500 miles out of my way, which I suppose I could have done if I'd put my mind to it, but having left home without my mind, it wasn't happening.

Anyway: If I'd noticed the lack of packages at my mechanic's shop, I still would have been close enough to home to turn back and get them. But no: I just drove merrily on to the post office without them, and then the question arose, drive all the way home to get the packages and then all the way back to town in a van with a gluttonous appetite for gasoline, or wait until tomorrow and try again in a less voracious vehicle? Better wait until tomorrow, which is now today, of course.

But so as not to make the trip to town a total waste, I tried to accomplish a few other things, mostly without success. I tried to work out at the rec center...but couldn't manage more than 15 minutes on the elliptical machine at the easiest setting. I tried to get our Christmas letters printed out at Office Depot (since our color printer at home is out of commission)...but couldn't quite swallow the $1.18 per copy they wanted to charge. I tried to get my Volvo fixed...but the mechanic had trouble finding parts, so I picked it up at the end of the day with nothing fixed and a promise that he'd take another stab at it when the parts arrive, maybe Friday, maybe next week, which leaves driving a car with no driver's side seatbelt or headlights for the rest of the week, which would be perfectly fine if I didn't have to go anywhere, but I do need to mail those packages today and the weather is just gray enough to require headlights.

One good thing about delaying the mailing one day: I managed to make some almond caramels and stuff a few into each package, adding a little sweetness to my meager holiday offerings. So the day was not a total loss. And today is bound to be better, because this morning when I leave the house, I plan to take my brain with me.

No comments: