Wednesday, January 05, 2011

What I'm not blogging about today

No time to blog! But if I had time, this is what I'd blog about:

Reading: what's so great about Nicole Krauss, why Bill Bryson rocks even when he's not being very funny, what to do with my extra copy of The Finkler Question, which books didn't quite perform as promised.

Writing: how little progress I'm making on the conference paper I'm presenting next month, why I haven't gotten around to revising three different essays I ought to be sending out again, and how great it feels to finally hold in my hand a journal containing an article I wrote nearly three years ago.

Teaching: what a relief it is to have all three syllabi done, how much fun I'm having preparing for the California Literature class and trip, what neat new writing assignment I'm trying in that class, how annoyed my American Literature Survey students will be when I make them read just the three opening chapters of Dan Chaon's suspenseful novel Await Your Reply in preparation for his visit.

Everything else: why it's so much easier to un-decorate a Christmas tree, which last-minute details for tomorrow's pedagogy workshop are consuming my life, how exhausting search committees can be, why I'm not attending MLA this year, where I intend to spend the first part of my sabbatical next year.

It's a good thing I don't have time to write about all that. Writing about not writing about it has just about worn me out.

2 comments:

O'Nonymous said...

Well, this just invites a lot of questions!

Congratulations on the publication of your article. Let us know where to look for it.

Bev said...

Wish I had all the answers...but here's one: "I'm Not Making This Up: Taking Humor Seriously in the Creative Nonfiction Classroom" appears in the journal Pedagogy, volume 11, number 1.