Saturday, January 01, 2011

Unresolved

Two years ago at this time I was at a particularly low place in a variety of ways and when the time came to formulate New Year's resolutions, all I could think of was, "I resolve to survive." That was January 2009. Within six months I would be appointed to a terrific new position, present a paper at a wonderful conference, preside over my daughter's wedding, and start coping with cancer diagnosis. It looked touch-and-go a few times, but I certainly fulfilled my resolution. On the other hand, "I survived" doesn't quite cover the events of that year.

If I made any resolutions last year, I don't remember them. Yesterday on our long drive from Florida to North Carolina we tried to come up with some resolutions, but they were all pretty lame. I kept losing the alphabet game because I had to squint to read the billboards, so I resolved to get new glasses--but I've needed new glasses for months so that's nothing special. My husband resolved to eat fewer chips and cut down on cholesterol. There's a one-size-fits-all resolution for you! How about we all just resolve to be slightly better people?

This ought to be an interesting year: I'll finish serving as Faculty Chair and see some changes at the college, and my son will graduate from his college and enter the job market. In March I'll take some students to California and a year from now I'll start my sabbatical. How can I predict what resolutions will carry me through the unknown events of the coming year? I can't see what's ahead any better than I could in 2009.

Maybe new glasses will help. Resolved: to stop squinting at roadsigns.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I resolve to eat more sushi!