Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Side-stepping the stone

After driving 2200 miles without a hitch, I got distracted coming out of my driveway, slammed into a big stone, and dislodged the front bumper on the rental car. Typical, right? What's really typical is the fact that I keep obsessing about that one tiny incident instead of the rest of the trip.

In just over a week we drove safely through snow, sleet, ice, and high winds, visited family and old friends, heard two terrific college marching bands, watched True Grit (truly great), walked on the beach, watched birds, read some good books, visited a crazy flea market, heard my baby brother preach a terrific sermon, drove a car in which absolutely everything worked (including XM radio), and made it home without a single problem--but all I can think about is the moment when I drove the rental car (THUNK!) into a stone.

Finally I've found a New Year's Resolution: ignore the stone; embrace the trip. It's easier said than done, but the longest journey starts with a single step right past that pesky stone.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Maybe you should do yoga poses while you chant "ignore the stone; embrace the trip." Inhale. "Ignore the stone; embrace the trip." Exhale. :-)