Friday, January 07, 2011

Friday poetry challenge: THUNK again

The other day I wrote about the THUNK that occurred when I drove a rental car into a stone in my driveway and dislodged the front bumper (read it here), and I resolved that I would not allow such a minor incident to destroy my holiday trip. "Ignore the stone; embrace the trip," I told myself, and all week I have excelled at putting that pesky stone right out of my mind.

Today, though, I had to THUNK again: I finally learned how much that stone is going to cost me, a number too large to ignore. I'd like to sit down and cry for a while but I need to prepare for the start of classes and the faculty meeting on Monday and crying is not conducive to efficient paper-shuffling.

What I need is some distraction, and I'm counting on you to provide it: write a poem of any sort that will distract me from the distressing existence of things that go THUNK in the driveway. Make me laugh, make me smile, make me think about elephants...anything to make this annoying stone leave me alone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK... here's a poem I wrote back in the second grade. :) Ironically, it's about both cars and elephants.

It's hard to hide an elephant, but I would find a way. Although it isn't easy, I'd really like to say that I could hide an elephant, I'd hide him in a jar. And if he didn't fit there, I'd hide him in a car. And if he didn't fit there, I'm going to have to say, that I can't hide an elephant and it's going to be that way.

Impressive, huh? :) Ha! It's a wonder I'm not an English professor.

Anyway, you can't ignore the elephant in the room or in the driveway - and more importantly, you can't ignore the bill for the car in the driveway. Christmas is over and the bills must be paid. Doesn't hurt to have a laugh or two though, so good for you for trying to make that happen. Hope seven year old me was able to entertain. Have a great stress-free weekend, Bev! :) Betsy

Unknown said...

http://vimeo.com/1711302

Laura said...

Ode to the Rock:

Ye causer of pain,
I cry, I sob,
Hard you are, and unfeeling.
I imagine if we were to switch places
your stony head would be reeling.

Ye thorn in my flesh,
I fret, I wonder,
This fresh hurt, with my car torn asunder.
If you shall not move, I shall move you myself.

To the creek with you!
You'll crack, you'll crumble!
The years you will wear away.
I imagine if we were to switch places
We would feel about the same.


Oh, and here are some funnies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM2gLjfE_3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXFZMGddENA

Bev said...

Okay, I'm thoroughly entertained. It's a pretty big rock, but we ought to be able to get it into the creek if we all give it a heave.

Joy said...

If you rented the car on a credit card they may provide automatic car rental insurance to cover the damages...check it out.