Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Powerless

I was in my office preparing for my 8:00 class this morning when a student called to ask if we would be having class today. "Why wouldn't we be having class today?" I asked. That's when I found out that the power was out.

Well, not entirely. My office had power enough to provide light but not enough to run my computer or boil water for tea, and it was only after I spoke to my student that I noticed how cold it was. Apparently a transformer blew out yesterday and most of the campus has been lacking light, heat, and power all night.

All classes were cancelled, naturally, but my students knew this before I did. I spent some time calling my colleagues, waking them up only to tell them to go back to bed. They were delighted. I was not. I had things to do in today's classes! Important things! How will we ever get caught up?!!!

But I got over it. I thought about staying on campus and doing some work in my office, but my policy is "No heat, no tea, no service." Instead, I did some shopping and then came home and put a pot roast in the crock pot. I can get online at home, which is more than I could do in my office. This afternoon I'll enjoy the comforts of home: heat, light, hot tea, and pot roast. Tomorrow we'll all be back to business as usual.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a gift today was! I do regret missing that Brit Lit 2 class - but the nap I had at about noon made up for it!

I'm only wondering if the transformer blew as a result of an act of God - or was it some desperate student trying desperatelty to buy another study day before those mid-term exams?