Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Here comes the sun

I write today not to celebrate the first robin of spring or the first sighting of a red-winged blackbird; instead, I look in the mirror and celebrate sunburn. Where there is sunburn, there is sunshine, which suggests that winter is finally on the way out. The juncos are still hanging around as if they're awaiting that last arctic blast of the season and thick icicles still cling stubbornly to the north-facing bluff across the road, but the temperature reached 75 degrees Farenheit today on my deck, with a warm, gentle breeze blowing away the debris of winter.

I wiped off the deck chairs and served lunch to friends outside, with a result plainly visible on my face. It's not a bad burn--no pain, no itching--but it's a helpful reminder that more warmth is on the way. Others may crow about the return of the robins, but me? I celebrate sunburn as a sign of spring.

No comments: