Thursday, September 07, 2006

WWSD?

Today I encountered a remarkable human drama in the "Dear Prudence" column in Slate:
http://www.slate.com/id/2148988/

The question, in a nutshell, is this: Should I tell my new girlfriend that I accidentally caused the death of her father 20 years ago? The details are evocative: a dark night, a 12-year-old hiding in a cornfield, an ear of corn hitting its mark, tires squealing, metal meeting tree--and the rest is silence. Twenty years later, romance blooms and the dark night of the corn threatens to disrupt the course of true love.

This situation, it seems to me, is fraught with potential for the kind of drama that ought to be played out on a stage larger than an online advice column. So I'm issuing a challenge to my students and I'll issue it here too: What Would Shakespeare Do? I'm accepting plot outlines, character descriptions, or other creative suggestions about how Shakespeare would handle this thrilling drama of romance, anguish, and flying vegetables.

No comments: