Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Drippy Swimsuit Mystery

Today's mystery: why is a wet green one-piece women's swimsuit hanging from a hook on the door of the supply cabinet in the English department office?

It can't be the secretary's swimsuit because (a) she's out of town at a conference and (b) when she shows up for work in a wet swimsuit, it will be a sure sign that the apocalypse is at hand.

I suppose it could belong to a faculty member, someone (a) whose idea of "professional attire" extends to swimwear and (b) who is willing to wear a wet swimsuit in a building where the temperature hovers right around the "meat locker" level. I hope all of my colleagues are smarter than that.

For that matter, I hope my students are smarter than that too, although I notice that the young men seem to believe that wearing shorts and flip-flops all winter long is a sign of virility. These students, though, are not the type to wear a woman's green maillot, no matter how far the temperature drops.

But I am forgetting one thing: whoever hung the wet swimsuit in our office has presumably changed into more appropriate clothes, so we're not looking for someone who is clueless about what to wear in a classroom building but someone who is confused about the proper location for hanging wet clothes. That could be anyone.

The final mystery is this: how did a wet swimsuit materialize on a campus that has no pool? Has someone been taking a dip in some big puddles, or did the provost finally approve the installation of a whirlpool in the Secret Faculty Spa? If that's the case, that green swimsuit is MINE.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I just KNEW the Secret Faculty Spa was in your building! And I think the swimsuit belongs to Recently Published Author. :-)