Monday, September 04, 2006

Traveling companion

The only thing worse than having a spider in the car is having a spider in the car and not knowing where it is, which is why I tried very hard to keep an eye on the spider on the dashboard while I drove to work this morning. It was a foggy morning and visibility was pretty low, so I really needed to keep both eyes on the road, but instead I alternated: look at the spider, look at the road; look at the spider, look at the road; wonder what kind of spider it is--small and brown like a recluse, but does it have that mark on its back? Impossible to tell.

Look at the spider, look at the road. Wonder if this is the same spider that jumped on my neck while I was driving home in the pitch dark and the rain the other night, the one I brushed off quickly but probably didn't manage to kill and couldn't see enough to tell where it went. Look at the spider.

Look at the road. Look at the spider, look at the road. Look at the--where's the spider? Last I saw it was crawling across the dash from right to left, way out of arm's reach; now it's gone.

Look at the road.

Don't think about the spider.

No comments: