Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Don't send my students to the dead-letter box!

I'm trying to explain to my husband why a particular student's behavior is haunting me and all I can say is "He just seems so lost," but he says "Lost how?" and I don't know how to answer. Lost in a fog, lost in illusion, unable to make meaningful choices and unaware of the need to develop this ability. Just lost.

Found in a desk drawer: a bundle of sealed envelopes bearing students' names. Four years ago I asked my honors students to write letters to their future selves explaining their aspirations: Where do you expect to be in May 2014? How will you get there? What obstacles might you encounter? How will you deal with them?

I've saved those letters for four years and now it's time to deliver them. I flip through the pile and am pleased to note that I've maintained contact with most of these students, except one or two who transferred out. Several have changed majors (some more than once!) while others have remained planted in their original soil, but both groups have found ways to thrive and blossom. Of the 15 students represented, three graduated early despite mastering demanding subjects. Every name, though, recalls to my mind a strong character focused on specific goals, and even if their goals may change over time, I have no doubt that they will find their way.

My lost student is another story, and, sadly, he's not one but many. They don't know what they want or they set goals based on some skewed understanding of reality, or if they set realistic goals that can be achieved here, they sabotage their own efforts. Maybe they're struggling with problems at home or maybe they're sick in body or mind or addicted to drugs or drinking or computer games, and then what do I do? I can provide directions to the Counseling Center or the Writing Center or the Academic Resource Center, but sometimes the lostness seems to penetrate into the depths of the student's soul and where is the Center for that?

My students' found letters make me feel hopeful and competent but my lost students haunt me, making me wonder how I can help them find their way, but they don't respond to my messages or they disappear and then, over time, they turn into empty names on folders in the "inactive" drawer in my filing cabinet, lost even to memory. What can help my lost students get found?
 

No comments: