Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A little mental slippage

One great advantage of the aging brain's tendency to lose track of essential information is that I'm constantly surprising myself. Today, for instance, I was introducing a writing assignment to a group of students and I was struck by its cleverness. I wrote that? Clever me!

I was less clever in constructing my syllabus for another class, which contradicts itself: two exams or three? It depends on which part of the syllabus you read.

One syllabus tells students to look for a sample paper on Moodle (but it isn't there!) while another instructs students to submit assignments to a drop-box on Moodle (that I never created!). I thought I was being very thorough and careful in setting up my courses, but apparently I was not careful enough.

And then I couldn't get the technology to work right in two of my classes this week. Second day of class and already everything's falling to pieces.

Thankfully, all of this evidence of mental slippage will ease right out of my awareness by the end of the week.    

No comments: