Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wildlife roundup

Saw a bobcat running across our road this morning--my first! I wondered what it was doing out in the bitter cold, but I guess that beautiful fur coat keeps it cosy.

The cold is driving small critters toward warmth, which certainly explains the mouse droppings and shredded tissues in the back seat of my car. We keep mousetraps set in the kitchen year-round but we sometimes go months at a time without catching a mouse, which makes last night really odd: three mice in eight hours. Two thrashed around loudly enough to wake me in the night, and then I heard the trap snap again this morning during breakfast. We set the trap before leaving for work this morning, so maybe we'll finish off the family.

And the dog brought home another deer head over the weekend. Just what I need: another lawn ornament!

 

No comments: