Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pre-semester assessment

I know I'm not the only one sitting sequestered in a nest of tissues and warm compresses, but classes start tomorrow and it's time to assess the situation.

Nose: red.

Clothes: wrinkled.

Voice: comes and goes, sometimes nothing more than a croak.

Choice: stay home another day or teach tomorrow?

Fever: gone, along with fever dreams in which I kept chasing Victor Hugo, perhaps to demand an explanation for all those chapters tracing the history of the Paris sewers.

Syllabi: done and printed, I think. I hope. I'm pretty sure I did all that before I left campus on Wednesday.

First-day writing prompts: written, yes, but did I print it? Don't remember.

House: smells like sick people.

Car: hasn't moved an inch since Wednesday evening. Hope those new ignition wires do the trick! 

Brain: coming back from wherever it hides when my head is crowded with wads of mucus. 

I think I'll teach. If my voice won't work, I'll just let the students do the talking.


No comments: