Monday, January 28, 2013

Dawn of a new day

Yesterday's beautiful blanket of snow has been transformed into dirty puddles that reflect dark clouds and constant rain rain rain. Another beautiful day in the Mid-Ohio Valley! 

I'm keeping dry in the library, up on the top floor where the big windows let in the sunshine when there is any--and when there isn't, there's that great big yellow artificial sun glowing below the blue curved dome of the sky. Ceiling. Whatever.

It's a quiet place full of comfy chairs where I can sit and read drafts without fear of further irritating my allergies. I hit the steroid-induced wall over the weekend and I'm making progress toward normal, but I'm not there yet. It occurred to me this morning that some of my brand-new students this semester have never heard my actual voice uninflected by sinus-inflection distortion. I'm still croaking my way through conversations, but I made it through two classes without losing my voice and I'm certainly thinking more effectively on my feet, so it's all good, or getting to good, or at least better.

Best of all, the Powers That Be have mea culpa'd and offered to thoroughly clean the residual floor-sanding dust out of my office, and I may even get an air purifier out of the deal. By the end of the week, I may be able to work in my office just like regular folks.

Meanwhile, though, I'm basking in the warm glow of sunshine in my favorite library. Don't tell me that big yellow globe isn't really the sun. It's sun-ish, at sometimes that's about as good as it gets.

No comments: