Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Calming the savage blast

Today I'm taking a hiatus from the hectic life, opting out of the ordinary, fleeing the controversies that leave me flabbergasted, including:

1. The current controversy over whether every course that "uses" literature ought to be labeled a literature course for the purposes of General Education. My question: what does the course use literature for? Fuel? Insulation? Target practice?

2. Students who want to quibble over whether their borrowing from SparkNotes constitutes plagiarism if they just borrowed ideas but switched the words around. My question: why are you relying on SparkNotes for a paper that is not supposed to use sources outside the primary text?

3. Bill collectors who call at all hours to demand money from a person whose name is similar but not identical to my husband's, a man who apparently owes a lot of money to some very persistent people. My question: how about letting me have your full name and phone number so I can pass it on to the State Attorney General's office? I promise to get your name exactly right!

As absorbing as all these issues are, I'm waving bye-bye this afternoon and zipping down the interstate to Kentucky to see my daughter and hear her sing. They say music calms the savage beast, so it ought to calm the savage blast of demanding calls and messages from all the other voices in my life.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Wishing you safe travels.