Sunday, April 08, 2007

Partly sunny with chance of salami

All week we've been enjoying some yummy treats left behind by our German houseguests, who showered us with chocolates, marzipan, salami, and tiny dense loaves of rye and pumpernickel. We've been nibbling on the sweets all week, so today we decided to work the savory items into our Easter dinner. I topped some rounds of pumpernickel bread with mustard, havarti cheese, and hard salami to make darling little canapes. We are not normally canape people, so it was a delicious treat.

Here's my issue, though: working with the salami left my hands slick with fat, and heating the canapes resulted in little pools of fat all over the plate. It was the best salami I've ever eaten, but I could feel my arteries clogging up with every bite. If we ate like this every day, we'd never fit out the front door. I suppose it's a good thing we don't get showered with salami every week.

No comments: