Tuesday, December 22, 2020

The calm before the chaos

Why does insomnia strike when I am most in need of alertness and energy? Here I am with a house full of grandkids, one of them potty-training, and I'll be the only adult in charge until late this afternoon but I really want to go right back to bed. This has happened before: when the kids are in the house without their parents, my subconscious goes into constant vigilance mode and refuses to relax. It's just for a few days so I suppose I'll survive--but I predict a nap in the offing.

First, though, baking. Today is my husband's birthday and the grandkids want to bake him a cake, which I hadn't been planning to do (because we're already overwhelmed with sweets) but why not? I found an easy recipe and I have plenty of sprinkles so the grandkids can decorate the top, but one problem: the recipe calls for blackstrap molasses but all I have is a jar of sorghum molasses. Okay to substitute? I guess we'll find out. 

They also want to go for a walk in the woods today but the weather may not be congenial to hiking. Yesterday on the three-and-a-half-hour drive here, we drove through constant gray skies, fog, and rain, except for a three-minute period when the clouds opened to reveal a rainbow. It felt like a good omen after hours of bleakness, though what it might portend is beyond my ken.

Right now the biggest grandkid is coloring quietly beside me while the two younger ones sleep. When they get up it'll be time to rev up into full Grandma mode and get the mixer going, but until then I'll relish a few moments of quiet before the chaos. Day one of the grandkid adventure--and I'm eager to see what the day has in store for all of us.

 

No comments: