Friday, December 11, 2020

A bird in the hand, and another and another and another

If I had to pick my favorite moment of the day so far, I'd have a lot of moments to choose from: sitting on top of a hill on a bench having a private picnic lunch with my oldest grandchild; hearing my four-year-old grandson say "Let's do spoonerisms!" as we drove down the road; or seeing my youngest grandchild gently pat some pussy willows while saying "Fuzzy-wuzzy fuzzy-wuzzy fuzzy-wuzzy."

We went to F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm, where chickadees, nuthatches, and titmice will fly down and eat birdseed right out of your hand. The two-year-old enjoyed watching her brother feed the birds but she was a little leery: she clung to Mommy and drew back when a chickadee flew near, and the first one to land on her hand inspired a horrified expression. It didn't take long, though, before she was relishing the feeling of birds dropping into her hand, grabbing seeds, and flapping off into the woods. 

Which is what I'll be doing tomorrow--not flying but driving off into the woods to get back home. How have we packed so much joy into three short days? I'll take that joy with me, along with the hope of being together again as a whole family at Christmas. (Pandemic permitting!)












 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful grands. Thank you for the lift.