Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Criteria for a winter walk

It takes quite a lot to lure me out into the woods this time of year:

A few days with no rain or snow so the trails can dry up.

Temperatures above freezing so the trails won't be sheer ice.

A brief hiatus between gun season and muzzle-loader season so the woods won't be full of deer hunters.

Mild temperatures that merit wearing the bright blue fleece jacket instead of the deer-colored Carhartt jacket (because not all deer hunters obey the rules).

A trekking stick to keep me steady on the steep slick spots and the places where snow has been stomped down into ice.

A new canister of pepper spray to reassure my loved ones who can't deter me from hiking alone but want to be sure I can handle whatever creatures I encounter.

A stretch of time when nothing else is required of me--no painting, no cleaning, no prepping of classes, no laundry, no cooking, no pressing deadlines for anything.

That's a lot to demand but when it all comes together, there's no better time to enjoy a quiet walk in the woods, where icicles sparkle in the sunlight and woodpeckers chatter in the treetops and my mind is refreshed by the stillness and solitude.





New boardwalk through the wetlands!



Who leaves a mask out in the woods?







 

 

2 comments:

dgwilliams said...

Who leaves a mask? Someone who is concerned for the birds lack of social distancing? 🤣

Bev said...

Ha! Very funny