Wednesday, August 21, 2013

My kind of personal assistant

This morning College Misery features a post on the growth of private consultants who do all the grunt-work for students trying to register for classes (read it here), while over at Slate Farhad Manjoo reveals that outsourcing his "most mundane personal tasks" to an online personal assistant (in India!) did not work out as well as he'd hoped (read it here).

Neither of these stories features the specialized kind of personal assistant I need today: someone to sit through six hours of meetings in my place. Call her a Personal Ass-sitter--someone who can sit patiently through any number of inane meetings, listen to the same three people make the same three points at every meeting, and nod brightly even when the information presented at this year's meeting is identical to the information presented at last year's meeting.

The ideal Personal Ass-sitter would occasionally offer clever comments that would reflect positively on my wit and wisdom, but I fear I might have to pay extra for this service. How many comments at how much per comment? We would have to negotiate a reasonable fee, but I stink at negotiation.

But hey, I can hire another personal assistant just to negotiate with my Personal Ass-sitter...and then a third personal assistant to negotiate with my negotiator, and eventually I would have to take on a second job just to pay all my personal assistants.

Maybe I could get a job as a Personal Ass-sitter! Oh wait, I already have that job.

1 comment:

Bardiac said...

I want Jeeves!

For better or not, most of our students can barely afford basics, much less someone to help with registration or whatever.