Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Abnormal August

If I'd been carrying my camera this morning, I could have photographed two male kingfishers sitting on the same branch and then swooping off in a mad chattering chase, perhaps a territorial dispute. Normally, kingfishers flee before I can get close enough for a good shot, but this time they let me get really close before taking off--and of course, I didn't have the camera. 

Maybe they were confused by the weather. I know I was. No one told me we were going to have October this morning, so I had to walk really quickly in the shady spots, trying to get to the sun. August in Ohio is generally fairly predictable: oppressive heat, humidity, mosquitoes, thunderstorms, rinse and repeat. Today, though, the cool, crisp air felt like apple-picking-and-hayride weather and made me wonder where I've stashed my fall jacket.

Not that I'm complaining! However, it does seem a little ironic that the minute the air conditioning in my office building gets fixed, we no longer need it. And the cooler weather also reminds me that I'll soon be swamped with classes to prep and papers to grade. I look longingly after those fleeing kingfishers and wish I could join them, flying up the creek and chattering my fool head off.
 

No comments: