Saturday, February 12, 2011

Pre(pom-pom)posterous

We were sitting in the stands watching a stressful but exciting basketball game when the cheerleaders came out and started doing backflips and splits and tossing each other up in the air. A colleague asked me whether I've ever been a cheerleader and I responded with a bitter laugh. "I can't even do a cartwheel," I admitted.

"But maybe if you tried doing cartwheels, you'd enjoy it."

"Oh I've tried. Spent hours and hours in my childhood hanging around my friends' yards trying to do cartwheels, but I always sort of flopped about halfway over."

We watched a cheerleader go flying into the air, do a split, and land without a wobble.

"That's what you should do on your sabbatical," he said. "Learn a new skills. Cartwheels. You could lead the faculty cheerleading squad."

Sign me up! Where do I get some pom-poms?

No comments: