Sunday, February 06, 2011

Just another dip on the sofa

There's a Bev-shaped dip in the sofa where I like to sit by the big front window and watch the birds, and for the past few days I've been mostly living in that dip. No, I didn't go to Our Nation's Capital to give a paper at AWP. Yes, I backed out. No, I don't feel guilty. Much. Most of the time.

Instead, I stayed home and graded papers, and then I graded exams, and then I graded another set of papers, and then I dug into a big project editing a collection of conference proceedings. Since Thursday evening, I've spent so much time glued to this same spot on the sofa that I'm afraid I'm about to merge with the furniture. A few more hours of this and I'll be transformed into a lumpy spot toward the end that gets in the way when you try to vacuum.

Okay, I did leave the house a few times--a walk with the dog on Friday, a basketball game on Saturday, and church this morning--but other than that, I've been living right here in this spot, my butt glued to the sofa and my laptop glued to my lap. Now, though, it's time to put away the computer and break free, to step away from the sofa and turn toward whatever awaits on campus this week. Will the sofa let me go? If you don't hear from me soon, send in the St. Bernards.

No comments: