Tuesday, February 01, 2011

I'm not the right kind of doctor to do this diagnosis

Comedian and singer Mark Lowry recalls that when he was a child and tried to claim that he was too sick to go to church, his father would say, "Throw up and prove it." Then if he managed to throw up, his father would say, "Now don't you feel better? Let's go to church!"

All morning I've been trying to decide whether I'm too sick to go to--well, anywhere. I don't teach today but I have two important meetings plus two big piles of stuff to grade, and I need to finish the paper I'm supposed to present at the AWP conference in Washington, D.C., provided that I'm healthy enough to attend the conference, which at this point looks unlikely.

What's my problem? All I want to do is sleep.

Am I too sick to drive to campus? Clearly not since I've been here since 8. Am I too sick to think clearly? There is some evidence to suggest that this is the case, beginning with the incredibly stupid thing I said to a Very Important Person first thing this morning. Am I sick enough to visit a doctor? I have many symptoms of a sinus infection except I'm not running a fever, so I don't know. I would feel silly calling a doctor and saying I'm just really really tired and I might be sick but I can't throw up and prove it and even if I could I would feel so much better I'd probably just go right back to work.

I'm obviously too sick to write a scintillating blog post, but if you ask me to throw up and prove it, I'm afraid you'll be sorely disappointed.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Call the doctor and go.