Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Un-biting my tongue

The big news is finally public: we're getting a new provost. People keep asking me what I think of this news but I'm reluctant to open my mouth because, as I learned to my sorrow over the summer, casual comments made in social settings can get passed around as if they're pronouncements from the Great White Throne, returning to me so twisted that I don't even recognize my own words. But I will say three things:

First, I am saddened at the prospect of losing our current provost. I enjoy working with her, value her leadership, appreciate her devotion to scholarship, and admire her professionalism. I will miss her.

Second, I am relieved that the news is finally public. I'm tired of biting my tongue on the topic.

Third, I am convinced that those of us who care about the future of the college ought to work to keep the conversation civil, to squelch misinformation, and to resist the temptation toward divisiveness. It won't be easy, but if we work together, we can do it.

And that's all I'm saying.

2 comments:

Rita Kipp said...

Thanks for the kind words, Bev. And good advice at the end.


I am glad the news is out too, having held it in since last February. As you always say, "Onward!"

Joy said...

Wow! I guess that is A LOT to hold on to for all of those months. As an alum, I'm sad to see Dr. Kipp leave as well. I think she has done a lot for MC and our community.