Thursday, September 16, 2010

Tossing in the tiara

Sunday afternoon I made the mistake of congratulating myself for being so organized. I'm the Organization Queen, I told myself: caught up on grading, class preparation, meeting planning, working out, even laundry. Someone ought to hand me a rhinestone tiara.

Well, the Organization Queen has been deposed. I am now behind on everything--even laundry. What happened?

Grading happened. Meetings happened. Car repairs and computer problems and muscle spasms happened. The high pollen count affects my inner ear and makes my head spin. Workmen wielding power tools and ladders infested my office space with noise and clutter. My office computer is possessed by demons that resist IT's attempts to exorcise them. My car window was stuck open. I'm trying to refinance my house. Students keep completing their assignments and expecting me to grade them (of all the nerve!). And my feet hurt.

Today my schedule is pretty clear so I'll try to dig out from under the onslaught. My car window is up (and the switch disabled so I can't put it down again) and the workmen and ladders have disappeared from my office space. Rumor has it that my computer will be fixed today. And I have no meetings until next Monday.

Maybe this evening I'll do some laundry. Better toss in the tiara. It's looking a little tarnished.

No comments: