Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The little savages!

After a lengthy discussion of the first seven chapters of Things Fall Apart this morning, I asked my honors students whether they would characterize the culture Achebe describes as "civilized" or "savage." A lively debate followed, with students offering abundant evidence supporting claims on both sides.

Then I reminded them of the exercise we did last week in class: students sat in groups of four and wrote two brief descriptions of the group on the opposite side of the table, one description portraying their classmates as "civilized" and the other as "savage." For instance, one girl's necklace was described variously as "a sample of the fine art of her culture" or "an artifact seized after a bloody battle," and a male student was described as "dominating his women through superior strength." Art/artifact, wife/women: what a difference a word makes.

Judging from their ability to enter into civil debate, I would describe my students as highly civilized. Even after the fire alarm sounded, there was no every-man-for-himself scramble for the exit. No savages in my class!

I wouldn't want to speculate about yours.

No comments: