Thursday, April 08, 2010

Playing with words


My Creative Nonfiction class has been playing with words all semester, but this morning we took the word "play" more literally: the class met over Scrabble boards at Tim Horton's--with the English department footing the bill for coffee and doughnuts.

I suppose I could invent some valid pedagogical justification for Scrabble 'n' doughnuts, but my students turned in a major essay this morning and I wanted to reward them for a job well done. Besides, it's hard to accomplish much in class when many of the students have been up most of the previous night finishing a paper.

So we played Scrabble. A student with a talent for triple-word scores creamed my whole group, but I came in a respectable second. I started the game with a miserable group of letters but I managed to play the word "words" on a double-word score. Wordplay is what we're about here so we may as well make it count!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

What a wonderful idea! I just turned in a syllabus this week for a Collections Conservation class I would like to teach. Wish me luck. :)