Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Contemplating a change

Sometimes my students leave me in the dust, especially when it comes to technology.

My Creative Nonfiction students are working on multimedia essays, and yesterday they presented their works in progress. Some are doing blogs or web sites or illustrated essays; one is doing a podcast and another plans a performance piece, but they're all finding fresh new creative ways to combine words with other media.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here looking at the same old stale template I've used since 2006, the same old photo, the same tired topics. Is it time to shift to something new?

A year ago I made a major change when I moved away from anonymity and finally signed my blog, and a friend persuaded me to try the Friday Poetry Challenge, which is fun but has a limited audience. Except for those two changes, I've been doing pretty much the same thing for four and a half years.

Is it time for a change? New template, new colors, new purpose? Or is this one of those "ain't broke/don't fix" situations? Right now I'm just thinking about options, but summer is a great time for a fresh start so I would appreciate suggestions.

3 comments:

Bardiac said...

Ain't broke, but change it if it makes you happy. :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the profile pic and I'll be sad if you change it. (You should do whatever you want to do though. If you have a current pic that makes you happier, upload away. :) Maybe you could change the template. When I went though a rough time in my life a number of years ago, I felt like the world had turned gray. When I started feeling better, I saw colors again. Maybe you could add more color to the blog. I'm partial to green. a) It's a great Spring color. b) It signifies renewal, which seems oh so appropriate, and c) It matches your little Chinese jacket.

Also, you take such great pics. I'd love it if you posted more of them. Maybe you could even post a video clip every now and then too. I'd love to feel like I'm in one of your classes.

I agree w/Bardiac though. It ain't broke. I love reading what you write and I will be popping back on on a regular basis no matter what your blog looks like.

Have a great week, Bev! :) Betsy

Laura said...

Nope, ain't broken at all! And I think the picture speaks of your inner oriental child... ? At any rate it's extraordinarily creative and the same ol' brown, while professorial and reminiscent of old books, is still just brown.