Friday, April 16, 2010

Friday poetry challenge: spring thing

Today I ate my lunch at a table outside the library--but first I had to grab some napkins and wipe off the thick layer of yellow pollen coating the table and chairs. I sat and ate and absorbed the glorious sunshine and watched white petals drifting down like snow.

And then I started to cough.

And sneeze.

And wipe my watery eyes.

I know I'm not the only one who has a love/hate relationship with spring. Our campus is at its prettiest right now, but that beauty comes at a high cost to those of us allergic to tree pollen:

Pollen fallen
from the trees
clogs me up
and makes me sneeze.
Pray for rain
to wash the air--
come on, Spring,
pull up a chair!

Anyone who can breathe clearly right now ought to be able to do better than that. Come on--show me!

3 comments:

Joy said...

The tree pollen breaks
my heart every spring because
my baby can't breathe

Anonymous said...

Spring has dried green things, algae perhaps, which obscure the windows of my boat. "Ammonia, ammonia," nurture whispers, till I go out and kill whatever it was, for the sake of clarity and the fresh start sparkle promises.

D.

Bev said...

Cool...you've both captured the ambivalence that accompanies the onset of spring.