Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Not quite incorruptible

Our Information Technology guys informed me yesterday that my identity has been corrupted, which sounds like a problem for a priest rather than a techno-geek. My college-issued laptop computer no longer recognizes my authority to open documents or programs or anything else, which means I can't get into anything: lesson plans, assignment sheets, writing and research projects, pretty much my whole entire life. So I'm working in the computer lab near my office and trying not to get too far behind on all the stuff I can't work on right now.

This morning's freshman comp class was particularly challenging because not only was I unable to access the materials I needed for my original lesson plan, but also the projector in my classroom stopped working so I couldn't go to the old reliable stand-by assignment on evaluating internet sources. I had to move way beyond Plan B to Plans C, D, and F- before I figured out a meaningful way to spend 50 minutes, and even that required some scrambling for resources.

But we can rebuild! We have the technology! I don't know whether IT can make me bigger, stronger, or faster, but at some point later today I expect them to resurrect my identity without any shadow of corruption.

No comments: