Monday, March 22, 2010

Curtains

At 7:47 this morning I'm sitting in the car waiting for the bank to open so I can deposit some checks so the bills I paid yesterday don't bounce. A curtain of rain blurs the view out my car window, softening the edges of trees, cars, buildings. The forecast calls for more rain, more grim gray skies for the next few days. I'd really like to go home and pull the covers over my head, but I have a full slate today--teaching classes, advising students, squiring a job candidate around town, attending a meeting.

Yes, that meeting--the meeting that has been disturbing my sleep for days, making me grind my teeth and wake up with a sore jaw, stiff neck, pounding headache. I keep telling myself that it's just another meeting and it will soon be over, but the meeting hangs like a curtain of grim gray gauze over my eyes, warping and coloring all I see.

Will somebody please open the curtains?

No comments: