Thursday, November 05, 2009

Snow birds but no snow (yet)

Juncoes have arrived!

Yes, my eagle-eyed daughter spotted the first of the snow-loving birds yesterday. They generally arrive closer to Thanksgiving, so I suppose this means we can expect an early winter and a harsh one. And sure enough, my daughter lives just over two miles north of here and she drove through snow to get here yesterday. None here so far, but when juncoes arrive, snow is not far behind.

I suppose this puts a little extra urgency into my Winter Preparation To-Do List.

2 comments:

Bardiac said...

Juncoes have already come through and gone further south, mostly. (There may be a few stragglers.)

Do they hang out around there all winter?

Bev said...

Yep, they're here all winter, their black backs standing out against the snow. They leave in the spring sometime before the towhees arrive, but I've never managed to notice just when they go.