Friday, November 27, 2009

Friday poetry challenge: giving thanks

Some years ago at a family Thanksgiving feast, a small relative taught the rest of us this little ditty, sung to the tune of "Frere Jacques":

Cornbread muffins,
chestnut stuffing,
pudding pie
ten feet high,
all of us were thinner
'til we came to dinner,
me oh my
me oh my

In church we sing Thanksgiving hymns about a mighty God who "chastens and hastens his will to make known," but ask a child what he's thankful for and he'll come up with a more concrete list: muffins, stuffing, pie pie pie. That's putting the hay down where the goats can get it.

For the past two days I've shared lists of the things I'm thankful for, both now and 15 years ago. Now it's your turn: share your Thanksgiving litany, in verse or prose of any kind.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am thankful for all of the usual things - for family and friends, for health and job security. This year, though, I am especially thankful for five invitations to Thanksgiving celebrations. I am thankful for Paula, who invited me to dinner at her home along with several others without family in the area. I am thankful for Susan, who works for me and invited me to go with her and the mister to visit her mother in Dallas. I'm thankful for Sarah, the septagenarian who sits next to me in choir who invited me to spend Thanksgiving with her large family after learning that my original plans had fallen apart. I'm thankful for my parents, who offered to fly me home for the weekend. Most of all, I'm thankful for my boyfriend's parents, who invited me to drive a hundred miles and spend the weekend with them, even though their son would not be able to make it. I'm thankful for time spent baking, shopping, and watching movies with them, and I'm thankful that they encouraged me to stay longer than I had planned.