Monday, November 30, 2009

A fine whine

Years ago when I was a journalist I realized that my writing skills had developed as much as they could at that particular publication and it was getting too easy to make the same sorts of moves over and over again. I had reached a turning-point: the only way to improve my writing would be to work for a more demanding editor, someone who could challenge me to stretch beyond my comfort zone.

Such stretching isn't always painless, as I was reminded this morning while listening to a bunch of students complaining about the comments various professors had offered on their writing: "She's so picky; he's so demanding; no matter how hard I work on this, I just can't make her happy!"

I know as well as anyone that it's difficult to accept feedback suggesting that my writing still needs work, but I've spent enough time in the real world to know that a careful reading by a competent reader is a gift, and if that reader offers specific suggestions for improvement, it's like Christmas morning. I'd like to grab these students by the shoulders and tell them: Go ahead and feel hurt that your reader didn't recognize your true genius, but then get over it and get writing again. That's the only way to become a better writer.

Unless you're not interested in becoming a better writer. In that case, you may as well whine.

1 comment:

Joy said...

I WISH I had professionals reading my work and giving me feedback now. It seems harsh when you're in the middle of it (I suppose), but when you're very paycheck depends on writing things correctly and well - having someone helping you make it better who isn't then questioning your skills is a godsend.

And when you're just writing hoping that someone somewhere will like it and do something with it...good editors are hard to find ; )