Friday, November 20, 2009

Friday poetry challenge: put it in park

So I'm sitting in my Volvo in a busy grocery-store parking lot on a damp, cold, gray afternoon, and my car won't start. I turn the key: nothing. Not so much as a click. Oops, looks like I left the lights on...and the radio...and the seat-warmers. Okay, I've grown accustomed to being pretty stupid in the afternoon, but this is ridiculous. Now I'm sitting in the dark in a car with no lights or heat or power and I don't even have the energy to call AAA. Tell you what: I'll just sit back and let the car make the call.

Yes: for a few hours yesterday afternoon, both my car and I were suffering from dead batteries. But this is not the first time I have resembled my car; in fact, people are always commenting about how well my car suits me. "It looks like an English professor's car," they say. It's not at all flashy, just stodgy and dependable, kind of battered and showing some signs of age, but it just keeps running (except when some idiot overtaxes the system and pulls the plug). More than any other car I've ever owned, this car seems like an extension of myself:

My car 'n' me
we both agree
it's time to take a nap;
we're sitting still
without the will
to make those spark-plugs zap.

My jumper cables
are not able
to set the gears in motion,
so we'll just park
without a spark,
avoiding all commotion.

Thanks to the efforts of a spouse who knows how to replace a battery, my car and I are both functioning properly today--a little slow, a little sluggish, but still puttering along.

And poetrying along too. Your challenge today is to write verse of any sort about a time when you've been stuck in park--with or without a car.

4 comments:

dgwilliams said...

There was a time
I sat for a dime
Right in my small cubicle chair

There was no work
Nor fun place to lurk
So I sat without flourish or flair

Boring it was
Not snoring I was
As I sat pulling my hair

Patiently waiting
A project of weighting
Something on which I could bear

My mind

dgwilliams said...

Actually, remove "Right" from the third line. It helps the rhythm problem caused by "cubicle" unless you pronounce it cub'cle; but it's still awkward, so just take it out as you read :o)

michele said...

My dress was white
His suit rented
The sun peeked out
A beam of light
Just as our vows were said

The park birds sang
We nodded, smiled
Friends cheered
As we turned away
Joined now for years

The car we'd parked
Had slipped and sagged
Into the curb;
The flattened tire
Bursting our new joy

Rented jacket aside
White dress protected:
"I'm not touching that"
Standing for fear
Of stains of grass

Jack up, then down
Tires switching places
Wedding party to rejoin/
Party to begin/
Now on to the drinks!

Bev said...

These are just fun. Anyone who can make poetry out of being stuck in cubicle-land or changing a tire on her wedding day ought to get some kind of prize.