Monday, October 26, 2009

Wind me up!

If some toy company ever decides to market a Cancer Bev Action Figure, I hope they install a perpetual motion machine to keep it running, because those little wind-up motors poop out a little too quickly.

After a week of solitary sedentary clicking, I was really excited about returning to the classroom this morning. My first indication that this would be more challenging than I had expected came when I walked up the stairs to my first class. I just don't have the stamina for stairs these days, you know? But the elevator in that building is so slow that I have never once seen anyone using it.

I was on fire in my first class, strong and alert and full of vigor--until I wasn't. The spring wound down about 40 minutes into class, but I kept babbling for another five or six minutes until I realized that I wasn't getting anywhere.

But then I had another class--fortunately, one I can teach sitting down. I did what I could and then put my students to work, first individually and then in groups. I suppose they learned what they needed to learn, but I also learned an important lesson about my limitations: no matter how much I would prefer to be SuperProfessor, right I'm just a wind-up doll with a defective spring.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Oh you so aren't. Even Superman needed to rest for a little while : )

You just didn't pace yourself properly. That fire and energy you had in the morning just erupted in your first class - and it felt so good, that you went with it (naturally, who wouldn't?). That you pooped out almost at the end is no surprise.

You need to work on the art of pacing yourself in these ultra CancerBev low-energy times. It's like the Monster Hill - I've only walked it with you once, but I didn't see even Healthy Bev take it at a jog. You managed the energy, held yourself back some and made it to the top - with enough energy to spare for the remaining 6 miles or so of the walk.

Pace yourself, manage the energy you have (take the damn slow elevator) and if that doesn't work, check your pockets for Kryptonite : )