Sunday, October 25, 2009

From positive thinking to critical thinking

On visiting a megachurch devoted to the Me-First mania of the Name-It-And-Claim-It prosperity gospel, Barbara Ehrenreich found the church's conception of God sadly diminished: "Gone is the mystery and awe; he has been reduced to a kind of majordomo or personal assistant. He fixeth my speeding tickets, he secureth me a good table in the restaurant, he leadeth me to book contracts. Even in these minor tasks, the invocation of God seems more of a courtesy than a necessity. Once you have accepted the law of attraction--that the mind acts as a magnet attracting whatever it visualizes--you have granted humans omnipotence."

Ehrenreich's critique occurs in her new book, Bright-Sided: How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America. With wit supported by solid evidence, Ehrenreich examines churches that employ positive thinking to promote greed rather than good, corporations that rely on motivational speakers to transform employees into mindless drones willing to turn a blind eye to injustice, and financial institutions so devoted to optimism that they ignore warning signs of disaster--leading, in part, to financial messes like the one we've been experiencing for the past year.

It's a large topic and Ehrenreich makes some large claims, including the sweeping assertion that much illness in the United States before the twentieth century can be blamed on the prevalence of Calvinism, a complex doctrine she describes with little nuance or sophistication. She is at her best, though, skewering the words and deeds of evangelists of positive thinking, from motivational speakers to prosperity preachers to corporate managers, whose doctrines place the blame for any misfortune firmly at the feet of the victim. For instance, Ehrenreich quotes motivational author and speaker Rhonda Byrne's responding to mass devastation by stating that "disasters like tsunamis can happen only to people who are 'on the same frequency as the event.'"

I'm sure Barbara Ehrenreich has never met a colleague of mine who insists that "if you think you have good luck, then you will." I have never considered myself particularly lucky, so the fact that I have cancer while my lucky colleague does not provides anecdotal evidence supporting his claim. If only I'd devoted more time to thinking that I have good luck, maybe that nasty carcinoma would have left me alone! My fault entirely.

In fact, Ehrenreich is at her most devastating in the chapter detailing her own struggle with breast cancer more than a decade ago. While researching her condition and treatment options, Ehrenreich felt increasingly isolated. "No one among the bloggers and book writers seemed to share my sense of outrage over the disease and the available treatments," she explains; moreover, when she expressed her anger among groups of cancer patients, she was reviled for failing to focus on the positive.

"Everything in mainstream breast cancer culture serves, no doubt inadvertently, to tame and normalize the disease: the diagnosis may be disastrous, but there are those cunning pink rhinestone angel pins to buy," she adds. Assailed by pink ribbons, pink pajamas, pink teddy bears, and relentlessly cheery rhetoric, Ehrenreich rails against the tendency of the breast-cancer culture to infantilize women. She describes a tote bag full of items to help women fight cancer, including hand lotion, a pink satin pillowcase, and crayons. "Possibly the idea was that regression to a state of childlike dependency puts one in the best frame of mind for enduring the prolonged and toxic treatments," writes Ehrenreich, but "Certainly men diagnosed with prostate cancer do not receive gifts of Matchbox cars."

If positive thinking is the problem, the solution, insists, Ehrenreich, is not negative thinking but critical thinking: the ability to look at the real world armed with a skeptical eye and the full use of the intellect, to be enriched by the wisdom of others without buying into mindless groupthink. Devotees of positive thinking spend too much time immersed within their own heads, she claims, and too little working to change those nasty negative aspects of life that result in injustice. She ends with a call to action: "The threats we face are real and can be vanquished only by shaking off self-absorption and taking action in the world. Build up the levees, get food to the hungry, find the cure, strengthen the 'first responders'! We will not succeed in all these things, certainly not all at once, but--if I may end with my own personal secret of happiness--we can have a good time trying."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a much, much more informative review of _Blind-Sided_ than those I read in the NYT and in Powell's (local Portland)newsletter. Having researched that 'optimism' pusher at the University of Pennsylvania myself, I was so eager to read Ehrenreich's critique that I pre-ordered a copy before her appearance in my town. What most surprised me, in my state of preparedness, was how poorly Ehrenreich's criticism was received by her book-signing audience--and by the usually satirical Jon Stewart (thedailyshow.com). Just shows you how attached we are to our beloved delusions. But as these happy, rather stoic campers say, everything happens for a reason, right?

Joy said...

I SO want to read this book. Are you doing reviews these days? You should - yours is much better than any of the others I've read on this one.

Anonymous said...

I recently heard a sermon that said this exactly, though not nearly so eloquently. While the Texas megachurch wasn't named specifically, we all read between the lines.

While I believe positive thinking and focusing on desired results can be helpful, it is not as simple as that. There are rogue cells and gravitational pulls and heredity and social forces at play too... oh and yes, there is an omnipotent God. That's what I believe anyway!

BTW, Did you know that the guy at the heart of that new age sweat lodge tragedy was one of the panelists on Oprah's show about "The Secret" several years back? Interesting! Have you heard his camp's take on why those people died? Supposedly their spirits were so happy out of their bodies that they didn't want to return. Guess that whole insufficient oxygen thing was all in their minds.

You make a good point about the different approaches the medical establishment takes when dealing with gender specific cancers. I've never heard that before and I've never considered that! You're right though!

I still like all the good the Susan Komen folks have done, but I can see where there would be a lot of pressure to take any "help" that is offered, even when it isn't helpful to you personally. I'm also sure there is a lot of pressure to always be "on" and upbeat when discussing your illness.

You DID NOT bring cancer on yourself! I know you already know that, but it might help to know that other people know that too! Cancer happened and you're fighting it valiantly.

This is a great essay! Very thought provoking! Hope you're doing well! You continue to be in my thoughts!

Betsy

Bev said...

The thing Ehrenreich is really fighting against here is the idea that one idea (positive thinking) is the panacea for all problems, and that everyone should respond to reality in pretty much the same way.

Another really interesting tidbit from the book: I learned that many pharmaceutical companies recruit drug sales representatives from among the ranks of college cheerleaders. That explains a lot...

Anonymous said...

I know. I went with the pharmaceutical sales rep friend I told you about earlier to a "partini" party last Christmas. Almost everyone at the party besides me was pharmaceuitical sales rep. Had I not known better, I would've thought everyone there was a model. I'm not kidding! These women were that attractive! They were also scary smart and all under 30. I know you had that awful experience with the Italian shoe guy up there, but these women were nice too. It was like I had walked onto the set of Stepford Wives. The friend I went with is attractive too, but she's our age. She knows her days in the field are numbered, but she's staying with it now because it pays well. It was really sobering. There are doctors all over the country recommending meds they learned about from Angelina Jolie in a plum colored pantsuit. It does explain a lot! :( B