Sunday, October 18, 2009

Solitary confinement or protective custody?

Because my immune system is hobbling around on crutches just at the moment when all kinds of nasty germs are aggressively invading the area, I've been working on a plan to stay away from campus all week. I have three goals:

1. Stay healthy. (Or at least avoid getting more unhealthy.)
2. Provide meaningful learning experiences for students in all three classes.
3. Keep up with paperwork associated with grading and advising.

This is actually a pretty good week to try this kind of experiment: no exams, no papers, no drafts due--just a handful of homework assignments. I had already arranged online activities for my Monday and Tuesday classes (to allow me time to recover from Friday's chemotherapy), so I just need to arrange meaningful activities for two classes on Wednesday, one on Thursday, and two on Friday. I've got plans in place now for all but three class sessions, so I'm well on the way.

To achieve goal 3, I'll need to retrieve a book and advising folders from my office as well as whatever mail might have piled up in my box. I'll be in town for a doctor's appointment Tuesday afternoon, and one of my colleagues has already agreed to collect the things I need from my office and meet me in the parking lot to hand them over.

As to staying healthy, the key will be simply staying home. Until my white blood cells get back on their feet, I'll be pursuing the pleasures of solitude--for my own protection, of course.

Interesting timing, since this week my postcolonial class will be considering the fine line between protection and imprisonment in Salman Rushdie's Shame. Hey, maybe that could be Friday's online discussion topic...by then I'll be ready to break out of this joint.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Sound choice. No need to kick cancer's but only to fall to the pigs.

If you need anything - from campu or done on campus or in with/for a class this week, just let me know.

Enjoy the solitude - I would love some right now ; )