Thursday, October 08, 2009

They're playing our song!

Some students make me laugh and some make me cry and some make me very, very proud to have played any part in their education. This week a former student made me do all three at once.

Two weeks ago I challenged readers to write a theme song for my cancer-kicking posse (read it here), and Joy Frank-Collins wrote some terrific lyrics. Now those lyrics have been set to music. You can hear a demo track by visiting Joy's MySpace page and clicking on "Kicking Cancer's Butt."

Tomorrow night Joy will preside over opening night of the BRAvo project, for which more than 60 artsy-craftsy folk have submitted decorated bras that will be displayed at a local art gallery and then auctioned off to raise money for breast cancer research (read about it here). I've seen a few of the submissions, including a watermelon-themed bra titled "Mind Your Melons" and bras decorated with buttons, feather, pennies, and other materials both exotic and ordinary.

Some people fight cancer with drugs and some with money, some with hot-glue guns and feathers and some by writing songs. I'm just proud to know someone who can do it all at once.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That sounds great!! :) I love the idea of the BRAvo project too!

Joy said...

Aww pshaw! Now you've made me cry.

O'Nonymous said...

Thanks, Joy! What an excellent song -- and quite humm-able, too. I like having it as the sound track of my thoughts about Bev.