Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Weighing in

"You've gained some weight! Good for you!" said the perky nurse in a tone suggesting she just might toss me a puppy treat.

For decades doctors and their ilk had only one message for me: "You ought to lose some weight." And then when I lost weight, they'd say, "You ought to lose some more weight." No one ever expressed delight at my ability to pile on the pounds.

I can put my finger on the exact moment when this changed: I was in the hospital recovering from surgery and my oncologist paid me a visit, during which he asked to see my incision. Given the number of white-coated people who insisted on viewing my incision, I ought to have sold tickets. The oncologist had to nudge a little persistent belly fat out of the way to see my incision and I joked about how I wished the surgeons had just cut that fat out while they were in there, and he looked up and in a serious tone said, "You're gonna need that fat."

Five words I never expected to hear from a doctor: "You're gonna need that fat."

And of course he was right. (That's why he earns the big bucks.) Last Wednesday the nurse expressed delight at my having gained a few pounds (thanks to lack of exercise), and then within the next five days I lost five pounds--without even trying! There's a weight-loss plan for you.

Good thing I held on to that fat. I"m gonna need it.

2 comments:

Joy said...

Wish someone would congratulate me for gaining weight. But, not in the way you are.

Anonymous said...

Are you taking donations? I've got a few pounds to contribute!

BTW, Bev, I didn't know you had reached the 100+ lb mark until recently. I think the last time we had talked about this prior to your diagnosis, you had ONLY (ha! :) lost 70.

Belated congrats on that amazing feat! I'm sure the mental strength and discipline you had to harness to achieve that and the healthier eating habits you adopted are doing nothing but helping you now!

Anyway, this is a tad ironic and I'm sure it would annoy me if I were in your shoes. In any event, you are looking good - as evidenced by the last pic you posted. Let's hope that body you worked hard to reclaim returns the favor and helps you fight this.

Keep on keepin' on! :) Have a good Wed! B