Saturday, September 26, 2009

A plague of (terrific) papers

I'm reading student drafts this weekend and loving it--really. Aside from the usual roughness associated with drafts, these are pretty good papers. In fact, the first set of papers this class produced was way above average, earning a pile of A's and B's and just a few lower grades. The best papers sparkled with wit and insight, couched complex ideas in sophisticated syntax, and employed rhythm and alliteration with aplomb. Even the mediocre papers were not that bad.

Which makes me wonder: are these papers really that good or am I losing my ability to distinguish between good papers and garbage? Are my students terrific writers or am I so drug-addled that they just seem that way? Am I going soft on student writing?

Only my students know for sure...and if I am getting more lenient, I doubt that they'll complain.

No comments: