Friday, September 18, 2009

Friday poetry challenge: time-out box

A man slaps a stranger's two-year-old child in Wal-Mart (read it here), and a woman spanks a stranger's toddler at a thrift store (read it here). (Do these things ever happen at, say, Saks?) You and I, of course, would never consider disciplining a stranger's child--but haven't you been tempted? Better yet, haven't you wanted to send a few parents to the time-out box? This is your opportunity: put your frustration with unruly children and parents into verse of any kind. I'll start:

To the girl who assaults all our ears
In the elevator and then sneers--
We can't ignore you
As you turn the air blue.
Your rancor comes through loud and clear.

But your mom, silent, won't move a muscle
To stop you. Does she fear a tussle?
We wish she'd reach out
And duct-tape your mouth,
But she stand there avoiding a fuss. (Still.)

Later: on the drive to work, I thought of an alternate ending line:
If you won't stop her, maybe then us'll.

And I also came up with another poem, which suggests that maybe my hostility level is running a little high today:

At the salad bar, two charming tykes
Use their hands to decide what they'd like.
Using fingers and thumbs,
They pull out a plum--
Or some pudding, potatoes, or pike.

Where is Mom while they do all this sticking
Of fingers in food and then licking?
She's nowhere in sight.
If she saw them, she might
Deliver to them a sound kicking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My frustration is more with the parents than with the kids. The kids don't learn to act that way in a vacuum. I don't think the problem is that the parents don't discipline the kids enough. I think the problem is that the kids are doing whatever they know how to do to get their parents' attention. My contribution is from the perspective of one of the kids:

I wait while Mom talks to strange men on the phone
And in a check cashing store while she seeks a loan
I spend hours and hours in the back of a cart
Cruising the cramped aisles of the local Wal-Mart
And when Mom's out at the clubs, I’m home alone.

Other times, when she’s here, we watch the TV
Watch crazed adults chant: Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!
I also hear fights where enraged adults yell
Things like: Shut up, you ____ Just go to ______!
God I wish Mom would pay attention to me.

I could write a better one re: absentee Dads and their role in all of this, but I won't go there. Hope you have a nice, tantrum free weekend, Bev and I hope you're feeling alright! :) Betsy