Thursday, January 15, 2009

A surreal conversation

The phone rang and the caller identified herself as the mother of one of our students.

"My daughter is in a literature class," she said, "but I don't know the name of the professor."

I asked her for the course's name or number.

"It's just called Literature," she said.

"We're offering several literature classes this semester, but we don't have any classes just called Literature," I said.

"Well, if I tell you my daughter's name, can you look up what class she's enrolled in?"

"No, I really don't have access to that information."

"All I know is it's a literature class that meets at 1:00 three days a week."

So I looked at the online course listings and found only one course in our department meeting those criteria and I told the caller the name of the professor.

"That doesn't sound right," she said.

"Sorry, it's the only literature course we offer at that time," I said.

She paused. "I really need to contact the professor," she said.

I pointed out that there are literature courses taught in the Theater department, but she said no, it had to be an English class.

"Why do you need to reach the professor?" I asked. "Maybe I can help."

"I just need to know whether tomorrow's class will be cancelled."

"Okay, let me just get out my crystal ball" is what I probably should have said, but instead I pointed out that our college almost never cancels classes because of weather (and besides, tomorrow's weather is supposed to be quite cold but not too snowy) and if the professor has some other reason to cancel the class, it would be difficult for me to ascertain that information without knowing which class we're talking about.

She was disappointed but I'm just annoyed and puzzled. I can imagine several scenarios to explain this surreal conversation:

1. Mother wants to make sure we won't force her precious little snowflake to venture forth when the wind chill is -15.

2. Mother wants her precious little snowflake to come home for the weekend and hopes to persuade professor to cancel class.

3. Student has told Mother that Friday's class is cancelled and Mother is checking up to make sure Student isn't feeding her a line.

I vote for 3, although I could be wrong. I'm certain of only one thing: that's five minutes of my life I'll never get back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How absolutely ridiculous. Sad to say, though, I'm not surprised in the slightest bit.