Saturday, January 17, 2009

Learning the ropes

For a week or so I've been slowly allowing my new camera to show me what it can do. It's not easy. I used the same old film camera for so many years that my fingers keep reaching for buttons that aren't there, and I'm always half afraid that I'll press the wrong button and wreck everything.

But what's to wreck? So far, I've taken a bunch of pretty lousy pictures. One problem is that I've always been better taking available-light photos than shooting with flash, but it's just too darn cold to spend much time taking pictures outside. But this afternoon I had to get out and see what winter is bringing to the upper meadow, so I bundled up and went up the hill and saw...well, not much. Deer tracks. Lichens. Dry brown thistle and desiccated goldenrod.

My dog spent the entire time hiding in her doghouse, but the neighbor's dog Duke joined me on my short jaunt up the hill. I took a bunch of badly exposed photos of Duke before I finally realized what a stupid thing I was doing: when I tilted the camera to see the readout on the back and adjust the shutter speed and aperture, the light meter was "reading" my dark pants instead of the scene I was trying to photograph. I finally managed to get a few decent shots but I dumped a lot of images--after learning what they wanted to teach me. That's the great thing about digital photography: the instant feedback lets me know exactly how dumb I'm being.

The first three-hour session of my scientific imaging class left me really excited about what I'll be learning this semester, including all the ins and outs of Photoshop. For now, though, I'll just be happy if I can get my fingers to stop reaching for buttons that aren't there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will there be any sort of photo exhibit from this class at the end of the semester? It would be great to see the results :)

Bardiac said...

Beautiful shot of the jay, anyway!