Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Technical difficulties

This time I can't blame my computer, not that it would help if I did. Heaping abuse on inanimate objects rarely improves the situation. But if I were inclined to holler at a piece of technology right now, it would not be my computer but my telephone line, which sounds like it is hosting a static convention. Data can't squeeze through all that noise, so I'm having trouble getting online and staying connected.

This is not an unusual occurrence: whenever the weather is especially hot or wet, our phone line becomes useless. It's one of the drawbacks of living so far out in the middle of nowhere that the phone line has to undergo ridiculous contortions just to reach the house. I generally compensate by doing my e-mailing and blogging at the office, but I'm trying to avoid the office this week and focus on some big writing projects, so I'm essentially incommunicado.

Except once in a while I can get through, like right now, and all I have time to do before I get cut off again is to apologize for my silence. I'll be back and I ought to have plenty to write about, but meanwhile, I'm accepting suggestions.

No comments: