Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sunshine on my laptop

Sunshine on my laptop makes me happy but makes the laptop dusty. Or maybe that's pollen--yes, big billowing clouds of fine yellow pollen drifting down from the blooming buckeye trees and then depositing itself on my laptop computer screen so thick that I'm tempted to drag my finger through the pollen to spell out "Wash Me."

I ought to go inside. If pollen is adhering to the screen, it's probably drifting down between the keys too and getting into all kinds of places that don't like dust. And besides, the sun is bright enough to make the black keyboard hot to the touch.

Of course that's easily fixed: just pull the deck chair back under the shade and leave my poor pathetic pale legs projecting into the sunshine. All this sunshine after so much rain makes me want to stay outside and grade papers until my legs burn to a crisp and my laptop totally clogs up with pollen.

But I can't. I'm nearly out of battery power and need to plug in soon--plug the computer into the power outlet and plug me into a burst of caffeine. Or a nap. Which will refresh me enough to tackle the next pile of papers? Maybe it's time to click on sleep mode.

2 comments:

jo(e) said...

I don't have the self-discipline required to grade papers outside. I am too easily distracted. ("Look! A butterfly!") I can't wait to be done with grading for the semester so that I can enjoy the sunshine.

Bev said...

I make the mistake of taking the binoculars out on the deck with me, so I'm constantly grabbing the binoculars to look at interesting birds, which disrupts my momentum. But at this point, sanity is more important than momentum, and sunshine is essential to sanity.